- This event has passed.
September 10 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
This year’s expanded Bug-O-Rama will feature an array of unique insects from around the world, as well as small reptiles including snakes, lizards, frogs and geckos. Join us for this family-friendly hands-on day, and participate in a variety of fun bug activities include making a mason bee house to take home with the Butterbee Foundation! Special guests include Penn State Entomological Outreach program, Ryan “The Bug Man,” PA Bat Rescue, Saybees Apiary – The Keys to Bees, the Planet Bee Foundation and more!
Included in admission; free for members.
Schedule of Events:
10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Visit with live bats with PA Bat Rescue; Conservatory
10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Special Guests and Activities
- Interact with arthropods from the insect zoo from Penn State Entomology Outreach; Conservatory
- Check out various live insects and arachnids with Ryan “The BugMan” Bridge; Conservatory
- See an observation hive and learn about honey with The Keys to Bees- SayBees Apiary; Tent pad, Conservatory
- Build a Mason Bee Home and learn more about bees with the Butterbee Foundation; Shaded Classroom
- Make a dragonfly craft; Children’s Garden
- Play a pollinator matching game and learn how to identify insects and their anatomy; Children’s Garden
- Make ladybug and bumblebee finger puppets; Tent Pad, Conservatory
- Build a bug log; Tent Pad Conservatory
- Color in symmetrical insects; Tent Pad, Conservatory
11 a.m. and 1 p.m., “Battle of the Bees” with the Butterbee Foundation: Education Center classroom. Compare native bees to honey bees. Decide who you think is the best pollinator and learn how vital each one is to our ecosystem.
Additional charge for:
10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Sarah’s Creamery; outside of Conservatory
10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Facepainting with Fawntastic Faces; Tent pad, Conservatory