The Education Department at Hershey Gardens is seeking a part-time educator to join its staff. This individual will primarily assist with school field trips. Additionally, he/she may help with a variety of educational and public programs. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated abilities, working with children of all ages and collaborating with adults. We offer a fun work environment in which we are strongly committed to providing high quality experiences for all visitors.
Work takes place on weekdays and occasional weekends. High-need days occur during the spring and fall seasons. Additional hours may be available during the winter and summer.
• Teach educational content to preschool, elementary, middle, and high school groups
• Guide student and adult behavior in a positive, proactive manner
• Collaborate with Gardens staff and volunteers to ensure the quality delivery of educational programming and a positive guest experience
• Assist with the preparation of materials and classroom space, which includes the lifting of tables and chairs
• Facilitate visits from educational groups, including public and private schools, homeschool students, scout programs, childcare facilities, and other community organizations
• Assist with special events and volunteer training initiatives
Minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform duties/responsibilities
• Friendly, helpful, and courteous disposition
• Passionate about nature and sharing nature with others
• Ability to interact and instruct students of all ages
• Collaborative skillset
• Strong communication skills
• Capacity to stand for 2-3 hours at a time
• Willingness to work in all weather conditions
• Ability to arrive on time with a high degree of consistency
• Openness to feedback
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Degree in education, horticulture, entomology, or related field preferred.
• Successful experience in classroom teaching or program delivery preferred.
• Demonstrated interest and ability to work with people, including children of all ages.
• As a condition of employment, this position requires a criminal history background check and a child abuse background clearance.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three letters of reference to George Vaites at email@example.com.
Seasonal Gardener: PART TIME
This part-time position is for Spring 2018. Applicants must be available for some weekend and evening events. A typical work week would be 28 hours per week: either Monday through Wednesday 8 hours and 4 hours on Thursday or Tuesday through Thursday 8 hours and 4 hours Friday.
This position will assist gardening staff throughout the 23 acres. The position requires a general knowledge of working with plants and equipment. You may be asked to help with event planning and set-up. Training will be provided.
• Mowing grass weekly
• Weeding and edging weekly
• Deadheading roses weekly
• Mulching when needed
• Watering daily
• Working with volunteers
• Snow removal
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform duties/responsibilities:
• Able to work on your knees for a period of time
• Lifting 30 lbs.<
• Walking for great lengths
• Being able to communicate with others
• Special work hours (some weekends, evenings, and holidays)
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
• High school education or equivalent (must be at least 18 years old)
• Experience preferred but not mandatory (training will be provided)
• This position requires criminal history background checks in addition to child abuse background checks as a condition of employment
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Seasonal Gardener” in the subject line.
The M.S. Hershey Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions, including all hiring decisions, are made without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, pregnancy, non-job-related disability, veteran status, possession of a General Education Development Certificate as compared to a high school diploma, or any other trait protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We strive to hire the hardest working and most qualified individuals.