Butterfly Associate (part-time):
Come join our team at Hershey Gardens new Milton and Catherine Hershey Conservatory’s Butterfly Atrium! Share your interest in butterflies, plants, and the natural world with the Garden’s visitors. In the Atrium you will find hundreds of butterflies and moths from all over the world.
Butterfly Atrium staff are vital in engaging the curiosity of our visitors. You can inspire conversations and be a guide into the world of butterflies and plants. As a Butterfly associate, you will have the opportunity to participate in any combination of the following exciting opportunities:
- Working with live tropical butterflies from all over the world
- Sparking visitor curiosity through engaging interactions
- Leading school groups on an exciting journey of discovery
- Encouraging visitors to get a closer look with live insect handling
This position is located in the new Milton and Catherine Hershey Conservatory’s Butterfly Atrium at Hershey Gardens. The purpose of this position is to maintain a year round exhibition of live tropical butterflies and plants while engaging and educating visitors.
The position reports directly to the Associate Director of Hershey Gardens and is part of a team of paid staff, interns, and volunteers to assist in maintaining the exhibit.
Schedule would typically be up to 30 hours per week and may include weekends and evenings for shows, exhibits, receptions, or special events
- Ensuring that visitors are having a superior educational experience. This includes; engaging in visitor focused informal education, leading group tours.
- Assists with the receipt of tropical butterfly chrysalides on a weekly basis. This entails hanging and labeling each chrysalis in an emergence cabinet and entering all records into a data base.
- Assists with the maintenance of the butterfly flight area making sure that the area is clean, free of dead butterflies, plants watered, and systems are working properly.
- Understands and follows the USDA containment guidelines for the Atrium which includes proper cleaning of both the public and behind-the-scenes areas.
- Assisting the manager in overseeing volunteers
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform duties/responsibilities:
- Demonstrated skill in oral and written communication
- Demonstrated ability to consistently represent Hershey Gardens and The M.S. Hershey Foundation in a positive, professional manner
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and performs duties professionally under extreme situations
- Occasional need to help with the set-up or tear-down of activities
- Work may be performed in a variety of outdoor and indoor environments and weather conditions
- Requires physical effort including lifting up to 30 pounds and extended periods of standing or walking
- Special work hours (some weekends, evenings, and holidays)
Minimum education and experience requirements:
Associates Degree or higher in education, biology or horticulture preferred. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- Experience working in an informal learning environment preferred.
- Experience working with living plants and animals preferred.
- Experience is preferred but not mandatory (training will be provided)
- This position requires criminal history background checks in addition to child abuse background checks as a condition of employment.
Please send resume with cover letter to email@example.com
Retail Associate (part time)
15-20 hours per week; weekends and holidays required
This year-round, part-time position assists guests with purchases in the retail shop, communicates guest feedback to the retail manager, ensures that the shop is neat and clean and stock is filled in a timely manner. This position is also responsible for money handling and daily reconciliation of a cash drawer. The position requires a general knowledge of all Hershey properties, as well as opportunities at other local attractions.
Minimum skills and requirements
- Applicants must be 16 years or older
- Applicants must be available on weekends and holidays
- Computer knowledge
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Ability to stand for up to 3 hours
- Ability to interact with the public, good oral communication skills
- 1-2 years experience interacting with the public preferred
This position requires criminal history background checks in addition to child abuse background checks as a condition of employment.
Please send resume to info@HersheyGardens.org.
The M.S. Hershey Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions, including all hiring decisions, are made without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, pregnancy, non-job-related disability, veteran status, possession of a General Education Development Certificate as compared to a high school diploma, or any other trait protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We strive to hire the hardest working and most qualified individuals.